Plan Ahead for the Perfect Patio
As the weather warms up, the days are getting longer—and so is my to-do list! It seems as though every nook and cranny of our home needs a little summer spruce-up, especially our backyard patio.
Nick and I spend almost all of the summer on our patio—grilling out, sharing family dinners and, of course, relaxing after the kids have gone to bed.
That’s why, this year, I’m planning ahead to get our favorite spot in tip-top shape for summer fun. Planning now for the perfect patio means that, whether we’re enjoying the sun or throwing a get-together with friends, our outdoor space will be ready!
- It’s best to start with a clean slate, so make sure to sweep and power-wash the surface of your patio, porch or deck. Now is also the time to stain or paint, if needed.
- Hose down any outdoor furniture that can withstand it, and focus on particularly grimy spots with soap and water.
- Wicker patio furniture can be cleaned using a soft brush and a mixture of soap, water and ammonia.
- Patch any chips on metal furniture with a non-rusting spray paint in a matching color.
- Scrub cushions with a stiff brush and soapy water. Then, rinse them well and leave them in the sun to dry.
- When it comes to arranging furniture, anchor your conversation sets around a beautiful outdoor rug. It will help to make your space feel more like a “room” while adding playful colors and texture.
- Test your outdoor sound system (if y you have one!) or any electronics you plan on using when you’re enjoying your space.
- Set up all of your patio accessories—from citronella candles and tiki torches to ice buckets and drink trays.
- Give your grill and fire pit a good cleaning, and make sure you have a fresh propane tank (and plenty of firewood for the pit) on hand.
- Hang solar-powered lights around your patio or deck for fun ambiance that makes anytime feel like party time.
- Place pretty planters all over your space, and fill them with your favorite flowers and plants. This is also a great opportunity for your little ones to pitch in and help. From my experience, they love playing in the dirt!
- For an extra pop of color, add outdoor throw pillows on chairs and patio sets.
Getting your patio in summer-ready shape shouldn’t take longer than a day or two, so it’s the perfect project for a warm, sunny weekend. Plus, getting everything done now means that once summer officially arrives, you and your family can sit back, relax and enjoy!